Kicking Off Summer, Sazerac House to Host Bottling, Sipping and Pairing Tastings Both In-Person and Virtually
Guests will enjoy summertime sips paired with delicious cheeses and chocolates, alongside commemorative events in honor of the Kentucky Derby and Sazerac Cocktail Day
NEW ORLEANS, LA (May 13, 2021)
Who: In conjunction with local fine-food purveyors Piety and Desire Chocolates and St. James Cheese Company and cocktail historians Elizabeth Pearce and Dr. Kristen Barton, the Sazerac House experience and distillery teams, led by Cocktail Experts Matt Ray and Rhiannon Enlil, will guide guests through spirited tastings and tutorials.
What: Events range from personalized Whiskey bottling to chocolate pairings, Mint Julep tastings and even a celebration of the Sazerac House’s namesake, the Sazerac Cocktail.
- Walking with Whiskey, Tuesday, May 4, 2021 and Tuesday, June 1, 2021
- Join our House Distiller David Bock and Bar Expert team for an in-depth journey through the whiskey making process. $20 per person.
- Mint Julep Virtual Tasting, Wednesday, May 12, 2021
- Over the course of two days at Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY, more than 120,000 mint juleps are served, a number that author Robert Moss says, “exceeds the total number of juleps served anywhere else in the South during the rest of the year.” Cocktail Kits featuring Buffalo Trace Bourbon are available for sale for curbside pickup. A portion of the sales benefits the Louisiana Hospitality Foundation. All guests must be 21 to participate. Virtual tasting. Approximately 45 minutes. Complimentary.
- Cocoa & Cocktails: Bourbon, Tuesday, May 20, 2021
- From cocoa bean to oak barrel, learn why chocolate and whiskey is a pairing steeped in craft and tradition featuring Piety & Desire Chocolate and Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Hosted by Sazerac House cocktail experts and Piety & Desire Chocolates. $30 per person.
- Barrel to Bottle Experience, Sunday May 23, 2021 and Sunday June 13, 2021
- Participate in the bottling process of Sazerac Rye Whiskey and learn how whiskey is made and what makes it the perfect spirit to toast with during your next holiday celebration. It includes a personalized bottle of Sazerac Rye Whiskey. $40 per person, includes a personalized bottle of Sazerac Rye Whiskey.
- Drink & Learn: Juleps, Tuesday May 25, 2021
- The mint julep might be synonymous with southern traditions, but this refreshing drink has unique and storied origins that pre-dates The Kentucky Derby. Learn how the julep traveled through Persia and The Mediterranean, adapting to cultural traditions to eventually land in the southern states, becoming a drink closely tied to spring-time soirees. Learn how the classic bourbon-based julep is made while tasting your way through several variations that will trace the juleps’ past to its mint topped present. Hosted by Drinks Historian Elizabeth Pearce. $30 per person.
- A Sip of Spanish Culture, Thursday June 10, 2021
- The Spanish were influential in shaping New Orleans like we’ve come to know it today, and even the old street signs tell us so. Join historian Dr. Kristen Burton to learn about all things Spanish and how foodways and festivities were shaped by this opulent culture. All guests must be 21 to participate. $25 per person.
- Cheers to Cheese: Rum, Tuesday June 15, 2021
- Taste your way through an assortment of cheese expertly paired by St. James Cheese Company with Caribbean rum and cocktails. $20 per person.
- Sazerac Cocktail Day Virtual Tasting, Wednesday June 23, 2021
- Join in the Sazerac Cocktail Day celebrations live from New Orleans and learn the history, traditions and techniques of the Sazerac Cocktail, the official cocktail of New Orleans, with the Sazerac House experience team. Virtual class is complimentary and Sazerac Cocktail kits are available for purchase and curbside pickup.
Where: Sazerac House
101 Magazine Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
All in-person events will include socially-distanced seating and use of personal protection equipment such as face coverings is required throughout the event. Groups are limited to 10 guests or fewer.
Should COVID-19 restrictions require changes to these events, guests will be notified of the change in advance.
When: Dates throughout May and June, full details and reservations are available online at www.sazerachouse.com
Why: In celebration of the changing season, and the slow, relaxed fun of the summertime in New Orleans, the Sazerac House is offering delicious chances to learn more about spirits.
How: Tickets are available online at tickets.sazerachouse.com. In-person events will include socially-distanced seating and personal protective equipment is required for all guests and staff. On registration, guests will be required to confirm & agree that they will wear appropriate face coverings unless actively eating or drinking, practice good hygiene, maintain appropriate social distance, and that they have not had any symptoms of COVID-19, nor anyone they have been in contact with, in the past 2 weeks.
To register for events, visit: https://saz.trumpetlab.com/events. Registration is complimentary; limited in size, and is first come, first served. For the corresponding cocktail kits for virtual tastings, please visit https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeySoZKVWHQOipIRqRQBTOoqwymWnVMKRVn0QUXd_MDDnz7Sw/viewform
Cocktail Kit orders must be received 24 hours before the corresponding workshop, and orders can be picked up 10:00am-4:00pm on the day of the workshop. At pickup, social distancing requirements will be followed, including 6-foot-spacing in the waiting area, personal protective equipment for the Sazerac House team and an acrylic shield between the guest and the Sazerac House team member.
Sazerac House is also offering curbside pickup of many of its spirits, bottled cocktails and bitters. The full list and online ordering is available here: https://store.sazerachouse.com/curbside-pick-up.html Due to state and city regulations, cocktail kits cannot be shipped and are for curbside pickup only.
About the Sazerac House
Standing proudly in a historic building at the corner of Canal and Magazine, and just a short stroll from the original 1850s era Sazerac Coffeehouse, the Sazerac House is an immersive exploration of the spirited culture of New Orleans. Featuring three floors of interactive exhibits across 48,000 square feet, including private event venues, an on-site Sazerac Rye distillery, and Peychaud’s Bitters production facility, the Sazerac House welcomes visitors to experience New Orleans history through the stories of its cocktails. For more information on the Sazerac House, please visit www.sazerachouse.com.
About the Sazerac Company
Sazerac is one of America’s oldest family owned, privately held distillers with operations in the United States in Louisiana, Kentucky, Indiana, Virginia, Tennessee, Maine, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Maryland, California, and global operations in the United Kingdom, Ireland, France, India, Australia and Canada. For more information on Sazerac, please visit www.sazerac.com.
Here’s to warm welcomes and kind regards.